Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Point of View in Academic Writing - the Ubiquitous "You"



When reviewing student drafts of academic essays, I find myself constantly marking the use of second person. With no direction, I find most students use second person. With direction, I find most students still slip into second person.

There are many reasons why second person is the go-to point of view for first drafts. It is the most informal and conversational. Students tend to write like they talk, so second person is natural. They also read a lot of second person online; advice articles, how-to, and informal blogs tend to use second person.

Second person, however, is the point of view that should be almost never used in academic writing. Besides the informality, which is inappropriate in a research paper and other academic essays, the main reason second person is not preferable is because it excludes or alienates part of the audience.

I use a few humorous examples to show this, and that is when it usually clicks with students. For example, I first ask the students, "Who is the audience for this paper?" The typical answer is me, the teacher, but we also discuss that it is anyone who is interested in the topic. Then I read the following passage from a student paper about preventing teen pregnancy:

"You should discuss your sexual activity with your parents or another adult because studies show that if you do this, your chances of pregnancy go down significantly."

I ask the students if I should discuss my sexual activity with my parents or another adult. I also ask a male student if this advice will help reduce his chance of pregnancy. Of course they immediately understand my point, and we don't need to elaborate on how second person excludes part of your audience.

We also review how the tone of this passage is more like a self-help article than academic research. Then I show a simple rewrite:

"Teen girls who discuss their sexual activity with their parents or another adult have a significantly reduced rate of pregnancy" (Smith 21).

There will always be the ubiquitous "you" in student papers, but a simple example requiring students to think about their audience will help them revise correctly.


If you are looking for resources to teach point of view, here is the Power Point and rewriting exercises I use with my classes: 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Point-of-View-in-Academic-Writing-1798737

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowledge gives awareness to peoples. Knowledge is the name of awareness. We get awareness through knowledge. Our writing is key of awareness. Our writing is the name of awareness. You can get awareness through our best female voice actors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very necessary to understand about the writing tips and in this way you can impress your teacher or examiner. I try to get information from this site because it is very useful but our cheap transcription companies provides nice instruction and different information. It is also very new and extraordinary information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The firm which you employ to Give You With voice-overs must not only be more affordable but also one which may Guarantee quality work. From the text below, we tell you the ten most significant Things to take into account when selecting a professional voice-over. Read below To learn about these hints. mandarin voice over will give you a new experience to grow your business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The academic blog is so informative for the people and helpful for the students. These tips are so amazing about academic writing but I prefer to join voice to text service in cheap price. This article helps me a lot and you make my day.

    ReplyDelete